6,400 contractors‘ employees reached through a programme designed to promote safe behaviour
723 patients surveyed about their satisfaction with Linde‘s REMEO® programme and improvement projects developed as a result
Introduce new minimum requirements for Linde Engineering suppliers to improve safety performance in upstream supply chains
Test the technology for even more energy-efficient carbon capture on a larger scale and forge ahead with its commercialisation
Sustainability is an important component of our Group strategy. We combine long-term business success with ecological and social responsibility. Therefore, we are constantly analysing the impact of our business operations on people and on the environment. Our innovations and products enable us to make a contribution towards sustainable development and support our customers’ efforts, for example, to increase their energy efficiency or reduce their emissions. We underline our commitment to sustainable development by supporting the principles set out in the United Nations Global Compact. In 2016, we also reviewed our contribution to the targets relating to the UN’s sustainable development goals which came into force during the year. The results were published on our website.
The sustainable development activities we pursue are based on established principles:
- Materiality: We concentrate on topics which are of great importance to our business success and to people and the environment.
- Core business: We incorporate aspects of sustainability into the key business processes of our Group. We consider the impact of our business activity throughout the life-cycle of our products.
- Continuous improvement: We continually analyse how sustainability enables us to exploit business opportunities and to minimise risks. We set ourselves quantitative and qualitative targets and use corporate responsibility indicators to measure our progress.
- Transparency: We report on a regular basis on our sustainability activities and engage with our stakeholders on this subject. We use the knowledge derived from this dialogue in our sustainability management.
Values and principles
The values and principles of our Group are set out in the Linde Spirit and describe how we want to achieve our corporate goals.
- Empowering people: People are given the space to contribute and grow.
- Innovating for customers: We relentlessly pursue new ways to add value to external customers.
- Thriving through diversity: Diversity results in enriched collaboration and enhanced solutions.
- Passion to excel: We have the commitment and drive to pursue ever higher standards of excellence and we celebrate success.
- Safety: The Linde Group will avoid harming people and society.
- Integrity: Our actions are honest, fair and ethical.
- Sustainability: We are focused on today's success, but accept our responsibility for future generations.
- Respect: Every human being deserves to be treated with respect.
Internal guidelines determine how we assume our obligations in the Group. Our Code of Ethics defines clear standards which govern the way our employees interact with each other as well as our conduct towards stakeholders such as customers, suppliers, the authorities and business partners. The Code of Ethics is binding for all employees in The Linde Group. Our Code of Ethics is supplemented by other global guidelines and standards which concern our commitment in core areas such as safety, environmental and health protection, product stewardship, supplier management and compliance. We base our standards on internationally recognised guidelines and principles. These include:
- the German Corporate Governance Code,
- the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,
- the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises,
- the ILO International Labour Standards,
- the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights,
- the ten principles of the UN Global Compact and
- the Responsible Care Global Charter.